Siemens acquires majority stake in Materials

Siemens has recently acquired a majority stake (85 percent) in Materials Solutions Ltd., specialist in Additive Manufacturing (AM) processing and production. The remaining 15 percent will be held by the founder of the company Carl Brancher. Materials Solutions in Worcester is a pioneer in the use of Selective Laser Melting (SLM) technology for the manufacture of high-performance metal parts. A specialty of the company is making turbomachinery parts, particularly high temperature applications for gas turbines where accuracy, surface finish and the highest quality of the materials is critical to ensure operational performance of the parts in service.

“With the acquisition of Materials Solutions, we are able to secure world-leading expertise in materials and AM process development with focus on high-temperature super alloys. The company’s strength is to turn models into high quality components in record time. Clearly, Materials Solutions fits perfectly within our vision for growth and application of advanced technologies within our Power & Gas portfolio.” said Willi Meixner, CEO of Siemens Power and Gas Division. Siemens extensively uses AM technology for rapid prototyping and has introduced serial production solutions for rapid manufacturing of small fuel mixers and for rapid repair of burner tips for mid-size gas turbines. The first 3D printed burner component for a Siemens heavy-duty gas turbine is in successful commercial operation in a power plant in Brno, Czech Republic.